Be nice. Be smart. Be passionate. Life’s too short to be anything else, and we expect nothing less. We work when it’s time to work and we play when it’s time to play. We do both with gusto. And sometimes, we do both at the same time. If you want to hang out with a group of people who respect, challenge, push and appreciate each other, then we want to work with you.
Below are the positions we currently have open. Just upload your resume to apply. And if you know of someone who might be a good fit for us, please send him or her our way.
SJ&P is looking for a usability-focused digital designer that knows how to find the balance between what looks good and what works well. Must be fad-resistant and imaginative. Bonus points to applicants with an interest in accessibility or universal design.
- Intermediate front-end coding experience or better
- At least two years of web design experience
- Fully responsive sites in your portfolio
- Wireframing and prototyping experience
- Mastery of Photoshop and Illustrator
- Experience with CSS preprocessors
- User experience research experience
- Familiarity with accessible design
- Mastery of Sketch
- Digital animation or motion graphics experience
- Kind of a nerd
Technologist / Front-End Engineer
Our technologists don't simply bring static designs to life, but they craft remarkable and meaningful experiences for users. We're looking for people passionate about creating, willing to spend the time to get the smallest detail right, and always experimenting with the next technology. Launching a website is a symphony not a solo project. We're looking for people eager to collaborate, excited to share their knowledge, and always willing to play a supporting role if the need arises. Put simply, we don't do egos at SJ&P.
Must be awesome at:
- Translating layered (Photoshop, Illustrator) comps into code
- Responsive, ideally mobile-first, development and a strong understanding of mobile browser capabilities
Must have a working knowledge of:
- Use of vector graphics (SVG)
- Source control using Git
- A CSS pre-processing (Sass, Less, Stylus)
- Client-side performance analysis and optimization techniques
- Client-side templating (Mustache.js, Handlebars.js, JSX)
- Back-end integration and server-side templating especially with open-source CMSes
Bonus points for experience with:
- A task runner such as Grunt or Gulp
- A lightweight alternative markup language like Haml, Slim, Jade
- Any of the following back-end frameworks/platforms: Node.js, Ruby on Rails, Django
- Any of the following open-source CMSes: Drupal, Wordpress
- A mobile app development framework such as PhoneGap/Cordova or Titanium
Digital Media Planner / Strategist
The Media Strategist is primarily responsible for the preparation and implementation of media plans and corresponding reports. Also instrumental in the flow of information to buying partner. Fiscally responsible for client media budgets.
The essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Prepares media plans including objectives, strategies, rationale and supporting documentation
- Verifies accuracy of all Media Assistant(s) projects
- Prepares syndicated audience analysis, reach/frequency estimates
- Understands client’s business to provide media insight beyond "the numbers"
- Ensures and maintains client budget summaries
- Maintains strong relationships between all service groups, working effectively and respectfully with all disciplines
- Develops strong media vendor relationships
- Explores media alternatives and is creative and relevant in recommending media solutions
- Ensures accurate work by checking details of all data entry on plans, reports, flowcharts, projects, etc. before giving to Supervisor and/or Associate Media Director for review
- Demonstrates ability to manage multiple tasks by prioritizing workload, completing and issuing projects in a timely fashion, continually following up and communicating project status to supervisor on a regular basis
- Demonstrates proficiency in effective written communication, productive media vendor relationships, rate negotiation, positioning, promotional programs and makegoods
- Establishes self as media planning expert by: performing planning, budget reporting tasks, developing well thought out recommendations utilizing appropriate media tools (e.g., MRI, Telmar, IMS, comScore, etc.), representing the department at internal and client meetings and demonstrating a complete understanding of interdepartmental functions and relationships
- Identifies concerns and resolves issues on projects by collecting and analyzing information, troubleshooting and utilizing internal resources
- Demonstrates thorough understanding of the interrelationship of budget reports and summaries by updating all related information upon revision of plans or buys
- Ensures accurate and expedient communication to buying partner regarding buy goals, revisions, etc.
- Thoroughly reviews and understands buys prior to issuance to the Field and Clients. Ensures timely issuance of buy recaps.
- Assists in supervision of Media Assistant(s) workload. Collaboratively supports Strategy Supervisor and Associate Media Director in training efforts for the team. Focuses on providing support across the team, as needed.
- Demonstrates initiative by volunteering for internal projects, demonstrates a desire for continuous learning and establishes credibility as a team leader
- Demonstrates ability to effectively present to Account Service, all levels of the Media Department, and Client (as appropriate)
- Effectively expresses ideas and information, both verbally and in writing; presents ideas in terms that are understood by audience. Effectively writes, discusses and presents media plans.
- Delegates appropriately; generates the confidence and respect of others; provides clear direction and initiates action
- Demonstrates interest in Media Assistant(s) career; provides promotable people for the department
- Treats all team members with respect, maintains confidence, works with team members to resolve issues; is available and approachable
- Provides tools/training and follows up with Media Assistant(s); provides frequent performance feedback letting employee know what is expected and holds them accountable; ensures desired results have been achieved
- Takes initiative to learn or re-conceptualize media specific systems and processes, uses them correctly and continuously asks questions
- Reaches logical, well thought-out conclusions; demonstrates an objective, common sense approach to problems and assignments commensurate with position and experience
Strongly prefer candidates to have either national broadcast planning experience or strong working knowledge of DMP’s/Trade Desk/Adobe or Crux marketing tool platform. Able to leverage the data and manage it to reach narrow target audiences. Buying experience is a plus.
- Actively works to understand clients business and goals
- Gains the trust, confidence and admiration of appropriate client contacts
- Works towards "must have on my business" client status
- Begins development of insight-inspired thinking and deck writing
- Accurate in tracking of client budgets
- Resolves budget discrepancy
- Provides weekly timesheets, accurately reflecting all billable and non-billable time
Travel (when needed)
- Market visits
- Training Seminars
- New Business
- Client meetings
Personal Leadership & Development
- Projects professionalism by demonstrating proper business maturity across all levels (within the organization and external contacts such as reps, clients, etc.), positively accepting direction and following instructions of supervisor, AMD and IMD by projecting positive attitude
- Establishes personal credibility at client level, within agency and media community
- Takes ownership of tasks and market groupings
- Self starter, works independently without constant supervision
- Manages conflict and confrontation productively
- Seeks and accepts additional responsibilities
- Actively works to develop professional skills by seeking out training seminars and other related activities; studies relevant industry publications for assigned accounts and advertising specific periodicals
- Education: College degree, advertising or related field preferred
- Strong knowledge of media planning mechanics through relevant work experience, typically 5-7 years
- Excellent written/oral skills, basic presentation skills, ability to multi-task
- Detail oriented, organized and accurate
- Does what it takes to get the job done, very strong work ethic, leads by example
- Professional, positive, team-player attitude
- Effectively utilizes, understand and applies media tools provided (MRI, Nielsen Monitor Plus, SRDS, MediaTools, comScore, etc.)
- Maintains an expert working knowledge of Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Keynote
This job description reflects the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job. It shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements inherent in the job nor is it intended to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills necessary to perform the job.